Benchling & uniQure: Bringing a gene therapy pioneer from paper to the cloud
Goal: Bring a gene therapy pioneer from paper to the cloud
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
uniQure Teams Using Benchling
|End-to-end tracking for gene therapy workflows||Benchling automatically creates a complete history of every experiment. Scientists can track from vectors, to tissue samples, to viral batches and experimental results.|
|International collaboration – even while working remotely||Having a digital system enables internationally distributed researchers to collaborate and discover data much more easily – even when working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.|
|Improved efficiency and enthusiastic adoption||Benchling Notebook templates massively improve scientist efficiency. 100% of the scientists licensed to use Benchling use the Notebook every day.|
- uniQure tracks vectors and stores critical data about them in the Benchling Registry, while linking them to downstream entities such as cell lines.
- Benchling protocols standardize procedures and data entry, making it easier for scientists to analyze their experiments.
- uniQure’s analytical and product development teams use Benchling to track every sample in their freezers, linking location data directly to results readouts. Scientists can easily quickly critical samples for continued experimentation.
- By transitioning from a paper-based system to Benchling, uniQure now has a cloud-based system where scientists and other employees can find their data more easily.
- uniQure scientists can track and access each other’s work in real-time despite being on opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean. This shortens the time to critical R&D decisions and ensures organizational alignment.
- As the COVID-19 pandemic has forced some uniQure scientists to work from home, they’ve been able to stay connected, design experiments, and analyze data to maintain project progress.
- A long list of small improvements has had a significant impact on day-to-day productivity. For example, Benchling Templates have built-in calculations. Instead of typing away at a calculator, scientists spend their time analyzing results.
- Automatic audit trails and straightforward Notebook review processes ensure regulatory compliance and cut down on the time managers spend signing off on experiments.
- Through weekly configuration meetings and hands-on
user training sessions from the Benchling Customer Experience team, uniQure seamlessly transitioned from a paper-centric culture to a digital one. 100% of the scientists licensed to use Benchling do so daily.
Learn more about Benchling
Header illustration by David S. Goodsell. doi:10.2210/rcsb_pdb/goodsell-gallery-004