2023 State of Tech in Biopharma Report
As biopharma races toward delivering better medicines, faster, it’s adopting key enabling tech like cloud, artificial intelligence, and robotics to improve R&D productivity. For this report, we surveyed 300 biopharma experts — across R&D and IT — to understand usage, impact, and challenges biopharma faces in adopting this tech.
Download the 2023 State of Tech in Biopharma Report
Read the full report for more findings on how biopharma is adopting enabling technology to reach critical R&D milestones faster.
Methodology & demographics
Benchling designed an online survey that was conducted from July 13th to August 1st. Respondents were recruited and screened by a leading third-party research firm and expert network with access to more than 10,000 life sciences professionals. All respondents were employed full-time in the pharmaceuticals and biotechnology industry, based in the U.S. or Europe, and had to work in or directly support one or more of discovery research, process development, analytical development, animal safety and toxicology, or bioanalytical development. The survey included a total sample size of 300 respondents from hundreds of distinct companies. Note that Benchling customers or users may have participated in the survey but were not targeted or specifically recruited.
Respondent demographics included:
- 59% of the respondents represented R&D (including data science), while 41% represented IT, digital, or informatics
- 58% working in the industry for 7 or more years
- 66% working at manager level or above
- 55% employed by large companies (1,000+ individuals) while 45% employed by small companies (<1,000 individuals)
- 75% based in the U.S., and 25% based in Europe